Due to runway maintenance in Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, all flights to/from Lukla is being diverted from Kathmandu Airport to Manthali Airport, Ramechhapfrom April 1, 2019, to July 30, 2019.
A formal statement to that effect has already been circulated by the airlines. The Airport remains closed from 10:00 pm to 8:00 am starting from 1st april 2019. Lukla being the STOL sector and almost all flight scheduled from 6:00am, if operated after the opening of airport would also cause the heavy air traffic and we never can count on lukla weather so all the flights has been routed from Manthali Airport ramechapp instead of Kathmandu.
The date and time of the flights will remain the same as per the tickets confirmed. However, this will require you to travel to Ramechhap from Kathmandu on your way to Lukla and back to Kathmandu.
Everything you need to know regarding the changes:
For passenger who have booked your flights with Nepflights,this is what we are planning to do:
- Take you directly to Manthali in a private vehicle 3-4 hours ahead as per your flight schedule so you can easily catch the flight without having to stay overnight. This will remove the hassle of finding accommodation. For e.g. If your flight time is 6:30 am, we will leave from Kathmandu around 2 am.
- At the moment there is very less chance of flight cancellation since flight is just 15-20 min from RCH-LUA. But in case of cancellation we are trying to coordinate with other company to accommodate via tent , however you have to manage the sleeping bag yourself. This is the worst case scenario we are talking about.
The flight cost of USD 180 that you have paid for Kathmandu to Lukla flight through Nepflights will include:
- The land transportation from Kathmandu to Manthali aka ramechhap airport..
- Flight from Manthali Airport to Lukla.
- Emergency tented Accommodation if needed. ( Prior confirmation required in case of emergency tent).
About Manthali Airport
Manthali Airport is located in the Tamakoshi River Valley in Manthali, the capital of Ramechhap District at an altitude of 474 m. It is located 132 kms east of Kathmandu and it takes 4.5 hours to get there from Kathmandu by road.
It is a small town that doesn’t see many visitors ordinarily. Hence, accommodation facilities available are limited and the service level is not very high. With the large number of trekkers who will come here to catch their flights, it is highly likely that you not find accommodation in Manthali during the peak season of April- May.
Getting to Manthali, Ramechhap
- Get a cab to Koteshwor
- Catch a local bus or regular jeep from Koteshwor Bus Parkto Manthali. Vehicles usually depart starting 6:30 am until 1 pm.
This option will require you to stay overnight in Manthali.